Protectakote UVR is a unique, moisture cured advanced formula Aliphatic polyurethane coating which uses rubber granules to give a tough and flexible anti slip (Nb. whilst often referred to as non-slip it is impossible to ever have a completely non-slip finish) finish that does not flake, chip or peel. With no mixing or blending of different components required, it can be easily applied to almost any surface including metal, concrete, wood, fibreglass, plastic and rubber leaving an attractive textured anti-slip finish that is resistant to weathering. Suitable for high wear applications Protectakote UVR can cope with vehicle traffic and long term external applications.
The key advantages of Protectakote UVR over standard Protectakote are:
- Protectakote UVR has an approximately 50% higher tensile strength than standard Protectakote making it significantly harder wearing and longer lasting in high wear areas.
- Protectakote has half the drying time of standard Protectakote making it quicker and easier to apply, particularly at lower temperatures.
- Protectakote UVR is available in a much larger range of colours, including lighter colours which help to keep interiors brighter and easier to work in.
- Protectakote UVR is very resistant to UV light so will last longer and fade slower particularly when in exposed areas such as boat decks, open backed pick up trucks or gunwhales.
Coverage: A one litre tin will cover approximately 1.25 - 1.5 m² (15 sq feet) with the recommended two coats. For high wear areas we recommend applying 3 coats.
Application Method: To get an even finish with Protectakote UVR it should be applied with a textured honeycomb roller these are available in our Protectakote rollers & brushes section, a brush can be used to stipple the paint in to corners and edges. We offer a large range of sizes to suit different applications. Protectakote UVR version has all the same benefits as standard Protectakote but is 50% stronger, faster drying and has significantly greater resistance to dis-colouration and weathering.
Typical Product Uses:
Some of the various areas where Protectakote UVR may be applied are:
• Load areas of pick-up trucks and vans for protection and non-slip properties
• All indoor and outdoor flooring applications
• Floors and steps of transporters and buses
• Ramps for wheelchair access
• Emergency exits and fire escapes
• Anti-slip areas around machinery
• Bridges, steps, walkways, decks and helicopter pads on ships
• Non-slip surfaces in showers, change rooms and ablution blocks
- Pack size: 1 litre, 4 litres & 4 litre Bedliner Kit
- No of components Single pack
- Touch drying time <90 minutes at 25ºC and 50% relative humidity
- Light foot traffic 6 - 8 hours
- Serviceable after 24 hours
- Full cure 4-7 days to reach final strength
- Overcoating time Ideal: 60 – 90 minutes at 25ºC at 50% relative humidity
- Percentage solids 70% by mass
- Percentage VOC <296g/l
- Tensile strength at break 26MPa (ASTM D638)
- Elongation at break 600% (ASTM D638)
- Service temperature -30ºC to 115ºC
- Application temperature 5ºC to 35ºC
- Hardness 85 Shore A
- Weathering no change after 1000 hours QUV
- Specific Gravity 1,03g/cm3 (rubberised version)
- 1.07g/cm3 (smooth version)
Brief Application Guide:
Sound painted surfaces such as automotive paint should be lightly abraded to remove the gloss, cleaned with CIF household cream cleaner, rinsed and allowed to dry completely. Please note we do not recommend applying Protectakote over Chlorinated rubber or water based acrylics. Ceramic Tiles, Marble, Terrazo, Glass
Surface should be thoroughly cleaned to remove any oils and waxes etc & rinsed thoroughly to leave a water break free surface. Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment should then be applied & overcoated after approx 1 hour. Xylene the thinners for Protectakote is also an excellent de-greasant.
Abrade to bright fresh metal and prime with Protectakote Clear Primer, Protectakote 2K, Duratop or for areas where there is no risk of water pooling Metcote, primer application should be completed within 30 minutes of abrading.
Scour with an alkaline detergent or pre-cleaner to remove all oil and create a water break free surface, lightly abrade and solvent wipe with Xylene and then prime within 3 hours of abrasion with a suitable etch primer such as Protectakote 2K or EP90 for high wear applications or clear primer treatment.
New concrete should be minimum of 6-8 weeks old, surface should be clean & dry, first coat diluted 10% with Xylene. Concrete subject to rising damp or in high wear areas should be primed with Duraprime or EP90 first. Smooth, shiny concrete (power floated) requires etching or abrading first. Any crumbly surface layer will have to be removed first with a stiff broom and concrete etch cleaner.
Abrade the surface to remove all gloss, clean with CIF cream cleaner, rinse and allow to dry.
Well weathered fibreglass just needs cleaning.
Un-primed: Abrade the surface prior to painting, ensuring any loose rust is removed, surface should be cleaned with Xylene and allowed to dry prior to painting. We advise using a corrosion inhibiting primer like Flag QD Corrosion inhibiting primer.
Primed: Protectakote adheres well to primed metal such as red oxide.
Non ferrous metal
Follow Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment instructions prior to overpainting with Protecta-Kote.
Plastic (Not Polyethylene or Polypropylene)
Lightly abrade the surface. Clean with Cif, rinse with clean water and allow to dry.
Abrade the surface, clean with Cif, rinse with clean water and allow to dry. Please note a trial should always be done first as the Xylene in the paint will attack the surface of the rubber.
Lightly abrade to fresh wood, clean with Xylene dampened cloth, allow to dry thoroughly. With treated wood such as decking or exotic wood the first coat should be diluted by 10% with Xylene. Timber should not be sanded any finer than 120 grit and it should have a moisture content below 20%.
Marine Ply: Treat as Timber. Class 1 and 2 ply should be sealed with dilute PVA and allowed to dry completely before application, the dilute PVA should all soak in to the timber. Where a waterproof barrier is required Duraprime or EP90 can be used.
For more information on Protectakote UVR please see the attached product information sheet.
*Nb. The images shown and RAL codes are only a guide to the colour, because the product is textured and because the settings of screens & printers can vary significantly please ask us for a swatch or apply a test patch where colour is critical.